Song & Music
Contestant must provide CD backing track to sing to. You may use a commercially produced one, or record your own. Your CD may include background singers and/or harmonies. Total length of your song may not exceed 5 minutes. Lyrics must not contain any profanity. The song and lyrics must be memorized. (No video screen will be used.)
All qualifying rounds are held at the city level. Each city MUST be registered with Minnesota Sings and pay the entrance fee of $75.00 to be considered as official entrants in the State Finals. Each city will decide how, when and where to hold their events. Contestants must compete at the City level to be considered a representative and must adhere to the requirements and rules determined by the city contest.
To be eligible for the Minnesota Sings Finals, you must: 1.Compete at a registered city level competition OR be named a representative by a registered city. 2. Contestant must be between the ages of 15 and 25 years of age ON the date of the Minnesota Sings Final, which is September 24,2017. (Contestants must not be younger than 15 or older than 25 on that date, regardless of their age when they qualified at the city level).3. Contestant must provide a CD of their backing music to participate in each level of competition. 4. Only individual contestants are eligible, sorry no multiple singers or additional instruments may be used. 5. Both the city winner AND your runner-up will compete, so be sure to have two singers entered that meet eligibility requirements .
NOTE: Once a contestant has won First Place at Minnesota Sings, he/she is not eligible to compete again. So a new winner is chosen every year.
Judging at the Minnesota Sings Finals will be conducted by a combination of performers, instructors and members of the music industry. We have provided a sample of the the judges scoring sheet .CityJudgesScoreSheet_Sample This is the same criteria that should be used at each city sings competition.
Vocalists will be judged based on the criteria listed below and will receive judge’s brief comments immediately following their performance. All judges’ decisions are final.
- Vocal Skills: Includes pitch, breath control, dynamics, phrasing, enunciation and tone.
- Presentation Skills: Includes eye contact, body expression, facial expression, attire, and microphone technique.
- Audience Response to Performance: Based on judge’s observation
- Judge’s Overall Impression of your Performance: At discretion of judges
- Choice of Material: Singer chose proper song to showcase their abilities
- First Place Winner of Minnesota Sings will receive $3,000 for the contestant +$1,500 for their favorite hometown charity +$1,000 for their sponsor (whoever paid the $75 registration fee) AND a 6 hour recording session at The Garage- music venue and recording studio located in Burnsville- Complete with studio musicians and a producer to oversee the entire recording session and mixdown your tracks.
- Second Place Winner of Minnesota Sings will receive $2,000 for the contestant +$750 for their sponsor (whoever paid the $75 registration fee)
- Third Place Winner of Minnesota Sings will receive $1,000 for the contestant + $500 for their sponsor ( whoever paid the $75 registration fee)
- Fourth Place Winner of Minnesota Sings will receive $500 for the contestant + $250 for their sponsor (whoever paid the $75 registration fee)
- Fifth Place Winner receives An Audio-Technica Microphone, Audio-Technica headphones, a Gator Mic Stand and Gator mic Case
- Sixth Place Winner receives An Audio-Technica Microphone, a Gator Mic Stand and Gator Mic Case
- Seventh Place Winner receives Audio Technica Microphone and Gator Mic Stand